Greenock Institute

GREENOCK INSTITUTE: An Institute facility has operated in Greenock since 1883, with a commemorative plaque unveiled at a special dinner in 1983. A second plaque was unveiled in 2005 to observe the centenary of the present Institute building which was opened in 1905 and has provided a library and community hall facility in the district since that time. A kitchen and supper room were added in 1925.

The large, partly burnt out eucalypt tree in the background of the image (across the road from the Institute) is believed to have been a corroboree site of the local aboriginal tribe prior to European settlement in the district.