A Slice of History


The first South Australian electric telegraph link was established between Adelaide and Port Adelaide in 1856. A line was opened between Adelaide and Gawler in 1857 and that line was extended, via Greenock, to Angaston in 1866. Mr Louis Iverson maintained the Greenock telegraph service in a small office in his home located in the main street of Greenock (now the Old Telegraph Station B&B). Greenock’s Old Telegraph Station today operates as a beautifully restored self-catered Barossa Valley bed and breakfast accommodation. With its peaceful location in the quaint village of Greenock, the Old Telegraph Station offers guests a relaxing environment with all the conveniences of modern living whilst retaining its old charm.

You can read about the settlement and development of Greenock from 1846 in the excellent book written by Geoff Saegenschnitter titled “Greenock and District 1846-1986″. A copy of the book is in the cottage. Also available in the cottage is a small pamphlet produced by the Greenock Heritage Group outlining an Historical Walk of Greenock. Extra copies of this pamphlet are available from the Greenock Post Office.

Below are photographs of structures in Greenock today, with a short history. (Click on the photographs to read more.)