Greenock’s Old Telegraph Station

OLD TELEGRAPH STATION: The first South Australian electric telegraph link was established between Adelaide and Port Adelaide in 1856. A line was opened between Adelaide and Gawler in 1857 and that line was extended to Angaston in 1866 (see below re early telegraph communications). Mr Louis Iverson maintained the Greenock telegraph service in a small office in his home located in the main street...
read more

Greenock Public Cemetery

GREENOCK PUBLIC CEMETERY: The cemetery was opened in the early 1850s but few details are known of burials prior to the proclamation of the Cemeteries Act of 1864 which made the recording of all burials compulsory. Buried in the cemetery are two young children of Louis Iverson, the local Telegraph Officer (Jacob, age 3 who died in 1875 of Scarlet Fever and one year old Hermann who died in  1876...
read more

Greenock Post Office

GREENOCK POST OFFICE:  A postal service to Greenock commenced in 1856 and was conducted in conjunction with a general retail store on the site of the present Greenock Creek Tavern. The Greenock Post and Telegraph Office was erected in 1879, combining the postal service and the telegraph service. Telegraph services were maintained from here until the mid 1920s and the staff operated a manual...
read more

St Peter’s Lutheran Church

ST PETER’S LUTHERAN CHURCH: This church was dedicated in 1900 and its bell tower was added in 1975. The Lutheran Manse adjoining the church was erected in 1955 and the Church Hall and Parish Office was built in 1988. Major renovations and extensions to the Church were completed in May 2009. An earlier Lutheran Church at Greenock was situated in Bevan Street and remained open as a Lutheran...
read more

Greenock Institute

GREENOCK INSTITUTE: An Institute facility has operated in Greenock since 1883, with a commemorative plaque unveiled at a special dinner in 1983. A second plaque was unveiled in 2005 to observe the centenary of the present Institute building which was opened in 1905 and has provided a library and community hall facility in the district since that time. A kitchen and supper room were added in...
read more

Greenock Uniting Church

GREENOCK UNITING CHURCH: Branson Memorial Methodist Church (later the Uniting Church) was dedicated in 1955, the church building was used in the traditional way until 2007. Then, faced with limited resources, the small and ageing congregation made the bold decision to cease Sunday worship services and use the Church building for community outreach ventures instead. Through business sponsorship,...
read more