Located in the main street of Greenock in the world famous Barossa Valley, Greenock’s Old Telegraph Station is a beautifully restored cottage offering self-catered bed and breakfast accommodation.
The building was once one of the original telegraph stations linking Adelaide and Angaston operating from 1866 at a time when travellers stopped over in the area on their way to the Murray River.
Mr Louis Iverson was the telegraph officer and operated the telegraphic equipment in a small office in his home (this cottage) until 1880, when the postal and telegraphic offices were combined and served from the new Post Office building. Mr Iverson was also a land and commission agent, auctioneer, very talented musician and a citizen who was very actively involved in executive capacities in many local civic organizations.
With its peaceful location in the quaint village of Greenock, the Old Telegraph Station now offers guests a relaxing environment with all the conveniences of modern living whilst retaining its old historical charm.
Photo Gallery of the cottage as it is currently
Photo Gallery and snippets of information on historic Greenock, Barossa Valley, Australia